From:
Carla Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Mar 1996 17:37:18 -0500
We have the lab reports back on Quidni.We would be very interested in
knowing whether other vets have seen this in ferrets.

SOUTHWEST VETERINARY DIAGNOSTICS, Inc.
Patient    SMITH, QUIDNI
FERRET-FITCH  Sex F  Age 1 Y

TEST            RESULTS NORMALS UNITS
COMPLETE BLOOD COUNT (CBC) WITH PLATELET COUNT
HEMOGRAM
WBC             0.7   (L)               2.5-15.4                X 10(3)/MM(3)
RBC             3.66 (L)                6.50-10.00      X 10(6)/MM(3)
HGB             6.7 (L)         12.0-17.4       G/DL
HCT             21.6 (L)                36-51           %
MCV             59 (H)          42-56           U(3)
MCH             18.3 (H)                14.0-16.4       UUG
MCHC            31.1            26.9-35.0       %
DIFFERENTIAL-ABSOLUTES
  COMMENT(S)
      PLATELETS APPEAR DECREASED
      PLATELET ESTIMATE: <60,000 /MM3
      SLIGHT ANISOCYTOSIS
      RARE POLYCHROMASIA
      SLIGHT NUMBER MACROCYTES (3 - 9 %)
      WBC S DECREASED: NO DIFFERENTIAL PERFORMED
      FIBRIN NOTED:  WBC-DIFFERENTIAL MAY NOT BE VALID
      RARE LYMPH SEEN ON SMEAR.
MANUAL PLATELET COUNT
 RESULT                     100-800             X 10(3)
      UNABLE TO PERFORM ACCURATE MANUAL PLATELET COUNT
      DUE TO POOR QUALITY OF SAMPLE.  PLEASE RESUBMIT.
REPORT NOTES:
      SUGGESTS MARROW SUPPRESSION
      COMMENTS SHOULD BE TAKEN ONLY AS A SUGGESTION NOT AS A
      DIAGNOSIS.
BIOPSY - SINGLE SITE ONLY
  SOURCE/GROSS:
       NECROPSY TISSUE(S). BLACK TARRY FECES, LISTLESS.  TEMP 105.4.
       PETECHIA.  SPLEEN AND LIVER NORMAL IN SIZE.
 DIAGNOSIS:
       MILD HEMOSIDERIN ACCUMULATION AND SLIGHT HISTOCYTIC HYPERPLASIA.
       OTHERWISE SPLEEN UNREMARKABLE.
 PROGNOSIS/BEHAVIOR:
        N/A
 SECTION BORDERS:
        N/A
 HISTOPATHOLOGY REPORT
        WRITTEN REPORT TO FOLLOW.
ADDENDUM COMMENTS:
         NOT DIAGNOSTIC FOR IMMUNE MEDIATED DISEASE, THOUGH DOES NOT
         RULE OUT THAT POSSIBILITY.  DETAILS IN WRITTEN REPORT TO FOLLOW.
         ADVISE EVALUATE OTHER TISSUES HISTOLOGICALLY.

Dr. Klein provided translation for several of these items.  Basically, her
red/white blood cell count was very low, her platelet count was very low
(she couldn t clot properly), there was some variation in the size and color
of the blood cells.  Results indicate macrocytic anemia and hemolysis
(destruction of blood cells).  Unfortunately the request for a better
quality sample for platelet count couldn t be filled - it didn t exist.

While we don t have a name yet for the cause, we do have a name for the
syndrome - APLASTIC PANCYTOPENIA.  It has 4 basic causes:  estrogen, drugs,
viruses, or immune-mediated processes.  We can rule out the drugs
immediately; Quidni never came in contact with any chemical or drug that Dr.
K had not specifically prescribed.  Estrogen can probably be ruled out,
since Quidni was spayed, and showed no other symptoms of being in heat, etc.
Viruses are a possibility, but how she could have picked something up when
the others didn t is a mystery.

Immune-mediated processes seem to be the most likely, since Quidni was so
young (no more than 1-1/2 years old), and showed other signs of what could
be genetic "unsoundness" (but I hate to use that word since I'm not a
geneticist, nor a breeder with experience in such things) i.e.  her general
proportions were extremely stumpy, even more than what I understand the
"bulldog build" to be.  No tattoo.  There's also the fact that Quidni
occasionally developed a small red bruise on her abdomen, which always
disappeared within a couple of days.  Since she played so rough, I had
assumed the bruising was a result of her play, and she never showed any
discomfort or sign of pain from the spots.  There were a great many of these
spots on her skin and gums Tuesday night/Wednesday morning, and during the
necropsy, Dr.  K said she saw more of the same (petechia) in the abdominal
fat.  There were no signs of lesions, ruptures, injuries, or cancer during
the necropsy.  The only hmmm was some slight mottling on the spleen.

The time span, from when I noticed Quidni was ill (fever, lack of energy,
bloody stool), until she died, was 5:00 pm Tuesday March 26, to 1:00 pm
Wednesday, March 27.  Roughly 20 hours.  At 2:30 pm Tuesday, she was
bouncing with the rest of them, and showed no signs of illness.  This was
FAST.

Questions:
1.  Has any other vet ever seen this condition in a ferret?  Did you
    suspect/test/find it soon enough to treat it successfully?
2.  How common is aplastic pancytopenia in ferrets?
3.  Does the immune-mediated process sound likely?
4.  I ve heard several comments about how this sounds like a form of
    leukemia.  Can ferrets get leukemia?

When Dr. Klein gets the written report back on the spleen biopsy, we may
know a little bit more.

Many thanks to any who can help clarify this for us.  Please, Ferret-holics,
if you see any unexplained bruising (however mild or innocuous) on your
critters, please get them to a vet.  Better safe than sorry.

Blessings,
Carla & the Woozlemaniacs
Litje, Turlough, Gaoth, Finn MacCumhail and Siobhan
In loving memory of Quidni