From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Aug 2001 22:48:18 -0400
Don't be disheartened so soon - 4 days isn't very long - treatment of
many diarrheal diseases actually takes months.  If Teddy won't have any
Eukanuba, don't force him.  If he is taking chicken baby food by itself,
let's go with that alone for two weeks before we even think of adding
anything.  Switching foods too quickly (like switching over to a/d) when
he is eating something (even if he has to be hand fed) can be self
defeating and upset this apple cart.

Regarding the possibility of ulcers - you haven't mentioned any of the
classic signs for ulcers (teeth grinding and dark tarry stools) that would
indicate the presence of an ulcer.  While he very well may have a small
one going, I generally don't recommend an antibiotic trial unless I have
something definite to go on.

If he likes the chicken baby food, and will eat it - don't add anything.
BF does a very good job with these animals, and they can be maintained on
it for quite a while.  Even 30 days on only baby food will not result in
an adverse signs.

Bottom line - quit adding things and give him some time to adjust to a
feeding schedule on his own.  Give him as much baby food as he wants every
4-6 hours and plenty of water, love and affection.  In 2-4 weeks, you can
start adding back some of his normal ration.

With kindest regards,
Bruce Williams, DVM