From:
"Schilling, Tracy" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Oct 2002 08:58:49 -0500
Hey there,
Well I seem to have that problem everytime I have moved with my ferrets.
I have also heard that Stridex pads and Selsun Blue work with blackheads.
When I was at my vet who is awesome with ferrets I ended up getting this
shampoo from her called oxydex.  It worked so well.  You don't put it all
over them, just on the tail and let it sit for 5- 10 minutes.  I know it
is hard to keep a ferret still that long but ferretone usually does the
trick!  Then just rinse it off really well.  I hope this helps a little
bit.

Oh and I used to think that ferrets didn't hack up their hairballs like
cats well of course Bandit proved me wrong!

For those of you that remember, Bandit is my 4 year old sable problem
child.  The first time my navy husband went away on cruise she cost me
over $1000 in surgery to remove a 2 inch piece of plastic from her.  The
second time he went away we ended up in the Emergency vet on memorial day
with her projectile vomiting.  Stayed overnight there on fluids, the next
night we stayed at the regular vet and got a Barium series.  Barium went
through all right but was getting just a tad snagged on something in her
stomach, thought it was a floating hairball and was told to watch her and
give her more frequent does of laxatone since she is the Groomer of the
other five.  Well the hubby left last monday and I thought we were free
and clear of the vet.  The last two times he was away we managed not to
have to go to the vet, I thought the curse was broken.  Well Thursday
night while everyone was wrestling Bandit started hacking.  I picked her
up and sat in the bathroom.

After hacking for a few seconds she threw up this HUGE, and I mean HUGE
like 1.5 inch HAIRBALL!!!  I was completely dumbfounded but so thankful
since there was NO WAY she was going to be able to pass that through her
system.  She seemed a little out of it so I gave her some lite pear syrup
from canned pears since I didn't have any pedialyte.  She lapped that up
then drank a huge bowlful of water and off to bed she went.  The ER vet
told me not to bring her in unless she started vomiting and/or had loose
stools.  Well here we are almost a week later and everything is A-OK.  I
followed up with her regular vet who told me that this very well may have
been the hairball that was snagging the barium awhile back.  Once again I
am so thankful to the ferret angels that let her bring that yucky mass
up!!  Thank goodness!

Oh did I mention we ended up at the vet with the dog who decided to
swallow part of his bone whole....good grief!!  I love animals LOL

Happy and safe and happy halloween everyone!
Dooks from
Tracy & Matt
the 6 florida fuzzies
the spoiled cat