From:
Yael Dragwyla <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Thu, 17 Mar 1994 15:42:12 -0500
The Latin sub-species name for the domestic ferret is "furo," which means
"thief" -- for good reason.   Hermes-Mercurius, God of Thieves is also Lord
of the Winds.  This morning, I was going to put my cats' meat on the front
porch for them, which meant opening the front door.  This _also_ meant that
if I didn't want to lose Jesse-Weasel, who looks at that door the way a
starving wolverine does a fresh steak, that I had to put her in the bedroom
(the only other room in the apartment, besides the bathroom) and close the
door for the duration.  So I do that, open the front door, put out the food
for the cats, turn around -- and find the bedroom door wide open and Jesse,
the little dickens, prancing out smugly, making a bee-line furo that
wide-open front door, wearing the sort of expression you frequently find on
the faces of the Elect in any church:  _I_ have an _in_ with the _Boss_, you
know ... If I had ever wondered what religion Weasels had, _now_ I _know_:
You blew that door open for her, didn't you, Hermes?!
Yours in thieves, prestidigitators, and winds, Yael Dragwyla