From:
Connie Gaddy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Feb 2004 14:17:41 GMT
>From:    suzi lambert <[log in to unmask]>
>
>...I am trying to get a list of ferret foods that do not contain corn.
>So far, The FerretStore, 8-in-1 Ultimate and Totally Ferret seem to be
>without corn...
>
>I was wondering why some brands have things like brown rice, dried beet
>pulp, soy flour, wheat flour, ground barley, brewers rice and other
>similar ingredients.  (this is not one brand, but a mixture) Is this
>good for ferrets?  or is it the same as corn and not digestable and
>serve no nutritional purpose.
>
>And what is the difference between "chicken by product" or "chicken meal"

TFS Superior Choice and 8 in 1 Ultimate do not have corn.  Totally Ferret
does contain corn; corn meal is on the list of ingredient.

The other ingredients you mentioned, rices and barley, are used as
fillers just as corn is.  None of these are digestible by ferrets and
add carbs to the diet, which in turn causes the pancreas to have to
produce more insulin.  This is believed to be one of the contributing
factors in insulinoma.  Soy flour and wheat flour are normally used as
bonding agents to hold the food together.  Dried Beet Pulp is a source
of sugar and might be added as a flavor appeal.

Chicken meal is basically chicken meat with the moisture taken out of it.
Chicken by product are things that are not used in human grade food but
are acceptable in pet food, such as heads, necks, feet, etc.  More
information on pet food labels can be found here:

http://www.fda.gov/cvm/index/consumer/petlabel.htm

This website contains a wealth of information on pet food labeling.  I
found it very informative.

Connie
Distributor for Natural Gold Ferret Food