From:
Ferret Rescue of Tidewater <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Nov 1996 18:39:33 -0500
Hi All!

I've been rather busy, so I will answer a couple of previous posts all
together.  Mr. Mo' Bob, you are a man after my own heart!  Everytime I hear
about feral colonies of ferrets residing in the U.S., it just gets my motor
running.  What are these people, gullible???  (I have a bridge that crosses
the Chesapeake Bay I'm interested in selling!) In all of my experience with
ferrets & shelters and my own personal stupidity that almost cost me my
bestest ferret friend in the world, I have come to my own personal
conclusion: Ferrets CAN'T survive in the United States on their own!  How
many FML'ers have tried to get their fuzzies to eat meat without success?
How many shelters have had ferrets turned in emaciated to the point of death
and then reunited the ferret with their owner and the ferret has only been
gone for FOUR days?  One of my personal ferrets escaped from my house on a
friday morning, was "rescued" that afternoon and the ferret was treated for
exposure!  No one can beat me up any worse than I did while trying to find
my boy.

As far as the shelter situation, I can tell ya'll this: there are more
ferrets out there this year than last year.  In 1995, our rescue had 78
ferrets cross its doorway(s).  We have already surpassed this number this
year, with a number of situations that have come up that really concern me.
A lot of people who currently own ferrets think nothing of letting them
loose when they are tired of them.  I have talked (no, begged) the parties
involved to turn the ferrets over to a rescue, without success.  I am sure
that these ferrets are dead now, turned loose out of "kindness" by their
owner.  I blame pet stores in particular for this.  The pet stores encourage
impulse buying and in most cases, promote ignorance.  I saw a product in a
store yesterday for "cedar nest bedding" for guinea pigs, mice, rats,
hamsters and FERRETS.  Huh?!?!?!?  what part of weasel begets rodents????
And this was from a national pet product company (L & C).  I would also
encourage all persons thinking about breeding ferrets to not start.  I don't
know about anywhere else, but in my area, there is not a shortage for
ferrets or kits in shelters or pet stores.

Our shelter will never refuse to take a ferret in, regardless of condition.
Does that make me a bad risk?  Perhaps, but in those extreme cases (like
Hope) I took on the ferret's medical responsibility personally.  The rescue
did not pay anything toward Hope.  I have and will continue to donate my
time, resources,home,property and sanity to keep the shelter afloat.  My job
helps pay for my obsession.  We have been doing this for a while, so I think
we will continue to be here.  I know of a few shelters that have temporarily
closed, but will reopen shortly.  I think that there are a lot more ferrets
in informal shelters than ever before, due to the local grapevine from
animal control and the SPCA.  I don't believe that this is unique to
Southeastern Va.

As far as IMRAB-3 is concerned, if you are in the state of Virginia, only a
licensed veterinarian is able to give a rabies vaccine.  Anyone can
vaccinate for distemper.

The question about the biting ferret and Depo-Provera, I can only say,
"Please don't."  Our rescue tried this will a biting ferret once, and will
never do it again.  For those who don't know, Depo-Provera is a hormone used
for contraception in human females.  It is touted as "behavior modifying" in
animals.  One member in our rescue had their own ferret received this shot
and the following happened: the ferret became lethargic,(acted as if in a
daze) gained 1.3 pounds, and its entire personality seemed to be supressed
for approx. 6 weeks.  Did the ferret stop biting?  Yes and no.  It did not
bite as hard as it once did, but it still bites.  The effects of the shot
will eventually wear off , but the ferret was never really the same.  I
can't recommend this for a biting ferret.  Postiive reinforcement is a
better way, and I hate to treat chemically something that may be able to be
modified through love and encouragement.  Also, the drug Depo-Provera has
been linked to some forms of brain cancer in people.

Ok, so I am now pushing the soap-box back in the corner.  If anyone else
wants it, let me know and I'll tell you where I hid it!

Lisa