From:
Margaret Merchant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Mar 2006 19:09:00 -0600
In a message to me providing info about raisin toxicity about a week ago,
Danee states:

>It is now a proven fact that raisins can cause kidney failure in dogs,
>and based on the facts that were presented to Dr. K.  about the ferrets,
>his feeling is it was the raisins.

She has now changed this to:

>Now, as to raisin toxicity - even before the ASPCA's Poison Control
>Center had issued any warning about raisins being a possible problem
>for canines, ...

Why is this important?  Because it goes directly to the heart of what I
was posting.  Sukie first posts about how raisins are toxic to ferrets,
no ands ifs or buts.  Then I get info when I asked for clarification.

My point is, and has been, that NO ONE KNOWS FOR SURE.  People aren't
sure about dogs yet and this further post by Danee says exactly what my
point was, NO ONE KNOWS FOR SURE.

Why is this important?  Because it allows us to see the information
for what it is, a POSSIBLE link to raisins.  There has been much false
information passed around about ferret stuffs, including that chocolate
will kill them.  It doesn't.

Do I know that raisins won't cause problems?  No.  But I have to question
since my almost 40 or so ferrets have never gotten kidney problems (save
for one, and that was linked directly to adrenal problems and being
blocked).  My ferrets have stolen boxes and eaten who knows how many
raisins.  I have a friend who ferrets stole a big box of chocolate
covered raisins and it wasn't discovered for several days.  Again no
problems.

I am not saying they are good, because they aren't.  They are a treat for
me.  Might they cause kidney problems?  I guess, but honestly I don't
lean that way because a few isolated cases isn't enough evidence for me
yet.  But that is my own opinion.

Everyone must make up their own minds.

But back to my point, there are a lot of good meaning individuals who
post information as if it was proven.  If they don't tell you how they
know, or refuse to post after someone else requests the info, then I
would question it.

Be sure and check your sources.

Blessings,
Margie