From:
"Raisins From Heaven Ferret Rescue & Sanctuary in Hernando, MS" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Jul 2009 12:52:04 -0400
I am still in shock. I still cannot believe all of this myself and I
thought that I had seen everything. Until yesterday...

On Wednesday morning, I received a call from a girl "Nancy" who said
her friend's boyfriend had several large snakes and claimed that the
boyfriend had been given a pair of ferrets over the weekend from a
friend of his who got them from another friend who was losing their
house and gave up, not only their ferrets, but two cats. (I held my
breath for what I hoped I would not hear next...)  And she overheard
the two boys at the house talking about having some friends over for
Saturday, the day they were to feed the ferrets to the snakes. OMG! I
thought I was going to throw up. by the end of the conversation with
Nancy, I was crying.

This is something you hoped and prayed was not going on out there but
feared that it not only could, but did.... and now it was happening in
my "backyard." I had to stop it ....! Whatever it took, I was going to
get those ferrets! (oh yeah, BTW, I have a carry permit and have
learned in this town, you better be prepared)

"Nancy" reluctantly gave me her friend's cell number and I convinced
this friend to give me the address and name of the guy that had the
snakes, the ferrets, and the cats. I risked my job and went there
during my lunch hour knowing I was not going to leave without the
ferrets or the cats!! It turned out they are kittens, about 3 months
of age. The ferrets are male and female - a pair of black sables about
3 years of age. I was lucky...the boyfriend was there and the kittens
and the ferrets were still alive and on the premises. And, so were
about two dozen snakes of all sizes...... ugh! I hate snakes and
really, really fear them ... and to have so many in the house and for
me to be in that house with them took every bit of strength that I
had ... I was literally shaking. I felt like all of the color had
rushed out of my body but I had to get these kids out and now....

I called police dispatch (on speed-dial) and a cruiser came out and we
all discussed the situation. The police refused to do anything. I was
at my wit's end so I offered him money - I don't buy ferrets but I
finally convinced him to take $250 for the kittens and the ferrets. I
called Joe and he took out all of our savings ... but lives were saved.
This all took about 2 1/2 hours and I still have a job, thankfully.
(and, just like most of you out there, I always carry two carriers with
bottles and what-not in my car at all times and so I was prepared for
travel)

I am now contacting my state representatives in an attempt to add to
existing laws or initiate legislation in this state to prohibit this
sort of activity. Not sure if I will be successful or even what this
legislation would look like for the state legislature to debate on --
or, for that matter, even what my legal precedents are, but I am not
going to sit by anymore and hope this does not happen. In this state,
there are many friends and supporters of animal rights issues and I
have already gained some preliminary interest amongst two legislators.
And, I am sure anything that we might propose WILL BE met with
opposition by businesses engaged in perpetuating this type of activity -
namely Petco who sell "feeder mice" and other small animals. Trust me,
Petco will argue the interference with business (federal Interstate
Commerce Clause) defense and use their lobbyists against any proposed
legislation that might reduce their profit margin. Petco's motto of
"pets come first" (or something of that nature) is hypocritical and the
reason I have not done any business with them in years. I just can't
take it - going into their stores, seeing the kits and watch people
buy feeder mice. I just can't...what a horrible death for those poor
things ...!

The kittens and the fuzzies are at the vet office today for examination
and assessment.

I am still hoping to wake up from this nightmare ... still trying to
believe that people are not this evil and humans with kind hearts still
exist.

Maren Doshier
Founder/President
Raisins From Heaven Ferret Rescue & Sanctuary
Hernando, MS (and surrounding areas)