Date:
Mon, 12 May 1997 10:45:16 -0400
>Can you please tell us more about the rabies shed study?  Maybe even post
>it to FML?

>1) I want to know what they are doing now as far as the tests.

The Skunk and raccoon rabies virus' have been completed and ferrets fall
into the same 10 day window (actually fewer days) as cats and dogs in
showing signs of rabies.  The standard quarantine would work for ferrets,
but they want to test a series of BAT rabies viruses, which have not been
tested on domestic pets before.  I think ferrets are now the target for
getting needed research for cats and dogs, and that is why they are dragging
this out, while there is interest and funding.

>2) What donations go toward specifically if possible.

The CDC is conducting the testing, MF is providing the ferrets, and Morris
Animal Foundation is providing much of the funding.  Ferret owners who want
the testing to start earlier need to help contribute now to get the funding
amount up to the full amount ASAP.

>3) How soon results can be expected if funded well.

The testing usually takes a year for each virus.  Depending on how many bat
viruses are used, this could be the longest wait - three plus years.

>4) Who is doing the testing

The Center for Disease Control (CDC).

>5) Where to send the check or to charge by credit card (the address or
>phonenumber if by credit)

Morris Animal Foundation / Ferret Shed Study, 45 Inverness Drive East,
Englewood, CO 80112-5480.  This is tax deductible.  1-800-243-2345.