From:
Anne Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Jul 2000 11:53:47 EDT
Our ferrets are in the family room which has a sliding glass door that
opens to the outside.  All of the cages are on wheels.  We have practiced,
and can get all the ferret out in under 25 seconds, less if there are two
people working on it.

We have a smoke detector in each bedroom, as well as in the upstairs hall
and in the living room and garage downstairs.  Some are battery operated,
others are hardwired into the houses electrical.  We also have a CO2
detector.

We also have window stickers on the front and rear doors alerting the fire
department that there are ferrets in the house, and where they are, as
well as giving an emergency contact number for a friend with a key who is
willing to take responsibility for all of the ferrets in an emergency.
The local police (who serve as the towns animal control) are aware of the
ferrets.

We also keep enough bottled water on hand to last for 4-5 days for all
the people and ferrets.  That habit came in handy after Hurrican Floyd
battered our area last year.

In addition to getting out, you should also have a place to go, especially
if you are a shelter with lots of ferrets.  We have three places that are
willing to accept our ferrets for emergency shelter with little to no
notice.  I think that more than anything gives me peace of mind.  If we
were ever forced out due to an emergency, I don't think the local Hilton
or Marriot would be willing to accept us with 25 ferrets.

Anne