From:
Linda Iroff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Sep 2010 16:25:37 -0400
This is from the web site of the former Raisin Retreat Ferret Shelter.
We were working with Jean Caputo-Lee of Ferrets Unlimited Ferret
Shelter in Cleveland at the time. She's the one that took care of
Kahlua.

---
Kahlua is a mink. We got a call in June 1997 from someone who found a
ferret in their garage. They had a dickens of a time catching it, then
called us. "Uh, that's no ferret, that's a mink!" A biologist who
examined her estimated she was about 7-8 weeks old, and must have
gotten separated from her family. At her age she would not have
survived if returned to the wild. She is a gorgeous dark brown with a
white chin patch. Kahlua is slowly getting used to people. She loves
fish and sliced turkey.

March 1998 update: Kahlua is now about a year old. She has become
wilder as she has matured, and is now very wary of people. We plan to
turn her over to the Great Lakes Science Center who will add her to
their breeding colony.

April update: On March 28, Kahlua was turned over to the Great Lakes
Science Center for rehabilitation to the wild. She adapted very
quickly, learning to kill and eat small rodents, etc. On April 2,
Kahlua was released near a wild colony in a rural Cleveland Metro
Park. A few days later, she was spotted consorting with a male!

August update: Kahlua has successfully raised her first litter of kits.
Born late May, there are 5 girls, all dark brown like Kahlua, and 3
boys, all dark grey.They have all been examined and tagged by wildlife
officials.

---

Linda