From:
Dick Bossart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Apr 1996 09:19:34 -0400
I noticed the "flat ferret" pose has come up on the list.  While I can't
guarantee that your ferrets speak the same language as mine, here in the
Bossart house, "flat ferret" means "Pick me up.  I need some reassurance." A
more literal translation would be "Look at how pitiful I am, how can you
stand it if you don't pick me up?"

It can also mean "I'm invisable.  You can't see me hiding here waiting until
you leave so that I can get into the cabinets."  so you have to realize that
it is somewhat condition sensitive.  That can lead to disappointment as you
might imagine.

If your ferret is asking you to pick it up, and you ignore it, you have one
heartbroken fuzzie.  On the other hand if it is playing invisable and you
pick it up, you've ruined its fun.   Foreign languages always seem difficult
at first <G>.

Other ferret phrases that I think I've manage to translate are:

Rapid Tail Wagging = I see you and now you're dead meat. - Usually followed
by a very rapid attack and sock/shoe/toy/fellow-ferret "kill".

Ferret jumping and hopping and shaking it's head from side to side (a.k.a.
ferret dance; war dance) = 1.  I'm really happy.  The world is great; you're
great.  2.  I'm really upset.  Everyone is against me.  If you come near me
I'm going to (pretend) to tear you limb from limb.   The differences in body
movements are slight between these two phrases and it often takes a ferret
mom/dad a while to differentiate between them.

Ferret launches it's self at you with all four feet extended (a.k.a flying
ferret)- Surprise!!! or Boo!!!

Ferret "chomps" on the top of your foot then does flat ferret = I've been
down here doing 'flat ferret' and you've totally ignored me.  Now pay
attention when I'm talking.  Or,
Ferret "chomps" on the top of your foot and doesn't follow that with flat
ferret = I'm not happy because: condition of litter box;  water bowl
resembles swamp (green and smelly); food bowl is empty; you missed my treat
time; etc.

Dick B.