From:
Ferret Nook <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Jul 2007 09:59:40 -0500
>From:    [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Any greyhound owners out there?

Hi Anne -- We have had Greyhounds in our family longer than we have had
ferrets (25 years). They are great dogs (45mph couch potatoes) and a
lot like our ferrets in that they aren't like other dogs. They need a
veterinarian that knows greyhounds (just like ferrets) since they are
a little different to treat than most breeds. They like to stash toys,
like ferrets, sleep a lot (lazy), very playful, and a little on the
quirky side (like our ferrets).

We have 2 Greys, an 11-year old male and a 4-year old female. Since
our Greys live in a shelter situation, they really don't have much
interaction with the ferrets since the ferrets have their own rooms.
But, when our personal ferrets are out the Greys usually don't pay
attention to the ferrets. Just make sure that the organization you are
adopting from matches you with "Cat Friendly" Greys only. Cat Friendly
Greys don't' have the high prey drive and will usually get along with
ferrets. Just be careful and introduce them slowly. Greys have a habit
of snapping at whatever they don't want around them. They are very
quick! Snap first, ask questions later! I have found that our Greys
will give a growl as a warning if they don't want the ferrets around
and our ferrets usually keep their distance.

Ferret and Grey hugs,
Kathy Fritz, Executive Director
Ferret Nook Shelter/Adoption Center
Cambridge, WI 53523