Date:
Thu, 5 Nov 1998 11:50:15 EST
>The large shelter survey found that among in-shelter ferrets there was a
>higher incidence (of adrenals); the two large non-shelter surveys did not
>find a greater incidence among Marshall ferrets

One reason there is a higher incidence of adrenals at shelters is because
people who have adrenal ferrets tend not to want to put out the money for
surgery, and turn in the ferret to a shelter - I'll reword my annual survey
to reflect "ferrets coming in with adrenal problems" vs "ferrets developing
adrenal problems while AT the shelter".  And since stress can be a factor
of bringing on health issues, abandong a ferret in a strange environment
with other unknown ferrets and routines can cause adrenals to appear early,
not to mention getting ECE and other factors.

(According to STAR*'s 1998 survey of the year 1997): Since 62% of the
ferrets at shelters are MF, yet 85% of the ferrets with adrenal issues had
the double dot tattoo, it could be surmised that the people who buy from
pet shops and then turn them into shelters are not caring for the ferrets
properly (diet, exercise, lighting, etc.) and the ferrets develope issues
that the owners don't want to take to a vet and get resolved.  I DON'T
think the problem lies in the shelters, but in the education people get
when they pick up the ferret.  Remember, only 11% of the TOTAL shelter
population reported had adrenal issues.  They just occured more in MF
ferrets, which points to source more than anything.

I presently have three ferrets in my household with adrenals - two are
"homegrowns" and one is MF - all are 7 years old.

As to operating on older ferrets - it depends on the state of the ferret,
not the age.  I regularly have 5 & 6 year old ferrets undergo surgery.
One 7 year old just had a biopsy done.  One of my 7 year olds has adrenal,
cardio, and insulinoma - this is NOT a good case for surgery, but he is
comfortable with medication.

Pam