Date:
Mon, 18 May 2009 11:39:07 -0700
I know most of us here have made plans for our animal friends in case
of emergency/disaster. People to call, people to help however they can.

I also can help others that need my help. I have contacted the local
county shelter, the local Humane Society, the local SPCA and left my
contact number as someone that can volunteer in case of emergency.

I can clean cages, feed and water, sit and calm frightened animals.

I also have a nice divided garage that we can set up in a moments
notice to foster cats and any other small animals. It can be
heated/cooled as necessary and is part of my workroom.

I have ground that is fenced to safely contain donkeys, goats or sheep.

A frightened horse would not be safe with my fencing, but I know others
that can help folks with horses.

I have a friend that is CERT trained, and is taking their classes on
emergency animal rescue. She will be able to go into areas that I will
not be allowed.

But I can do what I can with my offerings of time, space and grunt
work. I know others that can help, and we keep in touch, often
reminding each other for when (not if) the need comes.

Two years ago there was a horrible wildland fire near us. It was fast,
furious and deadly. No warning sirens, no time for evacuation teams
sounding alarms. It was just *there*

I'll never forget one newscast that showed a fleeing family leading a
horse all but out of control. The kids had carriers with cats, a couple
of dogs on a leash, and my very favorite, someone carrying a fish tank,
with fish.

All precious pets, not left behind.

There were many others not so lucky, they couldn't get home to save.
The firefighters do what they can, *when* they can.

Lets all of us do what we can, *when* we can.

Ardith
Reno, NV
earthquake and wildland fire country