From:
Date:
Tue, 5 Nov 2002 10:36:46 EST
Happy Fall to all, its finally cooled off here in Las Vegas, the ferrets
are feeling frisky and I'm finding some time to write!  First off I want
to send thanks to everyone that helped with our Oct open house, I've got
a list of all your names and I'm giving it to my friend Besty who does my
webpage to put all your names on our special thank you page, it will be
there by this weekend!

Ok, some updates, Annie Bones is doing great, she is The Princess, when
she is out with Meadow Soprano she is very jealous if I go near her,
other wise Annie just treats me like her servent!  As you can see, I have
great fun with this, watching Annie climb up my leg as I give Meadow
kisses.  Actually Annie in general has become a bit more atached to me,
I guess she figues that there can be another princess, but not The
Princess.

Meadow had a very serious infection of her anus, it was swollen and
looked like hamburger meat.  It stems from her urine and feces and
constant baths, being wet.

My vet said if it didn't clear up in 2 weeks that she may have to be
put to sleep.  Well I freaked out, no way is Mead leaving me in 2 weeks.
so she was shaved and put on meds and I was told to use baby wipes,
neosporin, desitin.  I go to Walgreens and by every type of antibiotic
ointment, baby wipes, rash stuff I could find.  I wiped and pampered her
butt, better than I ever did my human baby, lol.  Well in 2 weeks she is
healing up nicley, and its only a bloody rash now.  I will always have
to pamer her butt, literally, butt if it helps, who cares!!

Little Mello, she is having some problems also.  Last week she went
in for a recheck and to finally have the matts shaved from her body.
All the bruising was gone and lacerations healed up.  She was walking
gingerly but at least walking.  My vet felt a mass and did an x ray.  It
looked like a smashed kidney or something caused from the trauma she
suffered.  she had surgery and a large cyst was found filled with fluid.
the fluid was drained, a biopy and cystology was performed.  It came back
as non discript tissue, and a hematoma due to trauma, the fluid wasn't
urine or blood.  Her inner tissue is still very bruised.  Now the
hematoma is filling again and my vet is trying to find out where the
fluid is comming from.  So Mello is having a full blood panel run and
another surgery to lessen the cyst or put a drain in it and attach it
to the adb wall with the drain comming out a hole in her side.  so this
sweet little girl needs prayers, Mello has suffered the most hidious
trauma I've ever seen, bruised as black as coal from inside her mouth to
the end of her rump, and lacerated in various places on her body, matted
and thin.  she found her was to a womans doorstep, or so I was told,
scratching the door, looking for help.  she was brought to me and we are
doing everything we can to heal her and give her a wonderful life.  she
is my little kissy face girl, a young ferret, that deserves to have a
long wonderful loving life.

Well I've rambled on to much already so a few last things, please check
out our webpage, new pics, new links, upcomming events for the shelter,
etc.  We have fundraisers comming up to help pay down the vet bill and
try to get the 17 ferrets waiting for adrenal surgery done, we are doing
one this week and every ferret waiting for surgery is getting their
Lupron in the meantime.  We have taken in 240 ferrets this year, many
sick and old ones, big suprise, all ferret shelters are like this,or at
least I would imagine so.

so check out the fur kids at:
http://geocities.com/a_24k_ferret/index.htm
Take care,