From:
"Caryn K. Heffner" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Aug 2005 16:45:17 EDT
It has come to my attention that my local Superpetz store has many issues
with animal abuse.  This information was told to me by an employee there,
in great detail.  The problem is that the general manager does nothing
about it.  They carry Marshall's ferrets and recently had a kit die
because they have NO vet care for any of their animals.  When the animals
are sick they use whatever over the counter medication they think will
cure them.  I am outraged that these poor animals are not getting the
care that they need and no one but this employee seems to think this is a
problem.  I do not shop at this store because it has always been known
for poor animal care.  I just never knew the extent of the mistreatment
before.

I help with the local ferret rescue and we had looked into setting up at
this store for an information/fundraiser day.  They refused us saying
that because they sell ferrets it would be a conflict of interest.  In
other words they don't want to support the rescue because if someone were
to adopt, they lose a sale.  What kind of corporation is this??  Does
anyone know if this attitude and lack of vet care is policy for this
company or is this store choosing to not follow correct procedures?  I
am not sure how to find out.  I want this addressed with the company but
if this is their policy then what?

The abuse is more widespread than what I have mentioned here.  Because
this is a ferret forum I have only mentioned the kit.  This abuse needs
to be stopped, it not only includes animals for sale but also animals
brought into grooming by customers.  Any advice on where to go from here
would be greatly appreciated.

Caryn