From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Jul 2001 15:51:16 -0400
>I have a four year old ferret.  I have had him for two years and I
>recently adopted two new ferret approx.  6 and 18 mos of age.  The new
>ferrets are being quarantined at my mom's house but I play with them
>everyday.  My original ferret has recently become quite ill over the last
>24 hours.  He has green slimey diarrhea and has started vomiting today
>(twice).  He does not want to eat, I have been force feeding him Hills a/d
>and am now trying gerbers baby food chicken flavor.  He does not like for
>me to make him eat.  My vet has prescribed amoxicillin liquid 0.50ml bid,
>and we are giving subcutaneous fluids twice daily also.  He received
>about 75-100ml today and about 25ml last night.  I am very worried.  He
>seems to be very nauseated and I hate to force him to eat.  Last night I
>got him to take about 12mls of a/d and today I fed him around 15mls
>before he began vomiting and about 2mls since he vomited the first time.
>He began vomiting or spitting up when I tried to feed him the last time
>about an hour ago...so I stopped.  Should I continue to make him eat or
>offer pedialyte or what?  I am so very worried, please help me.
>
>Thanks

Dear X:

It certainly sounds like ECE.  First off - save all the poop you can for
the next two days, and freeze it.  I'll send you an address tomorrow for
one of my co-investigators, Dr. Matti Kiupel, who will run it for
coronavirus for you at no charge, and give you a definite diagnosis, I
bet.  We continue to work on a vaccine, but good ECE poop is hard to come
by.  (Oh, and if you can take a nice picture of the green slimy poop -
that'd be great for the list.

Now on to treatment - you are doing the right thing - fluids, antibiotics,
and a bland diet is absolutely the right thing to do, and you have jumped
on this right away.  Remember that his gut is really torn up right now, so
give a little less food more frequently.  Even as little as a quarter jar
of baby food every four hours is okay for the first couple of days - he'll
probably want more before too long.

Remember save that poop - it may be priceless!

With kindest regards,
Bruce Williams