From:
Al Wiebe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Jul 1999 19:10:59 EDT
Thank you all for your much appreciated queries about Derek's operation and
suggestions for his post-op recovery.  You all have been wonderful.

Derek navigated out of his isolation cage today for about ten minutes and
seemed to show no signs of difficulty, other than a little unsteadiness in
his gait.  He remembered his bag of toys and dug right in to it.  He hasn't
lost his need to inspect every box or such on the floor, either.  We're
elated over the little guy's recovery thus far.

He's regained his ferret arched spine as well, something he hasn't had for
a long time.  He eats very well, his usual ferret food and without his
previous need to have a few drops of Ferretone on it.  Interestingly, when
we moved his food dish out on to the floor to encourage him out of the
cage, he walked to it, sniffed it, then looked up at us as if to say,
"Haven't you forgotten the Ferretone?"  Yet, in the cage he doesn't look
for it.  Creature of habit, I guess.

Next week he gets the stitches removed and a post-op check.  His cage mate,
Layla, will be happy to get him back.

Derek sends his thanks, also, for all the concern about him.  I sure hope
all this celebrity status doesn't go to his head.

Al Wiebe