From:
DRhoads2 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Oct 1999 19:01:23 -0700
The christmass tree is very attractive to the ferret with the lights and
all.  We have a 6 foot fake spruce tree which means in our 7 foot apartment
ceiling has to sit on the floor.  All of our branches attach at the 3 foot
level and the top.  All we did was to bend all the branches up so they were
about 2 foot off the floor and didn't hang any of the ornaments on the
bottom of the branch so it didn't weight it any lower.  Seemed to work
with 98% of the ferrets except for Suzie who liked to push things up to the
tree to get a better reach so she still need supervised and to keep lite
pushables away from the tree.  We also replaced all the glass ornaments
with the cheaper, unbreakable plastic ones.

When we had another type of tree that did have branches on different
levels, we left the bottom layer of branches off.  Make the trunk look
kinda sparce but it seemed to work ok.  You have to weight the stand real
good so they can't push it over.

We will see how this works this year.  Last year we had only six, this year
we have ten and one of them is the terror Baby Jack, the water bed chewer,
bless his lttle heart.

Dennis
The Terror Ten