From:
Mustang Charlie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Jun 1997 02:37:43 -0700
RE: Micro-chips and identification

I believe most people are not clear as to what information IS contained in a
micro-chip.

It is a number.  That is all.  That number is registered to the animal and
owner, and after insertion, the information is sent to a National clearing
house for that manufacturer of micro-chip.

Then, one must have a special 'wand' that will 'read' the number if it is
passed within 6 inches (I think it is, correct me if I am wrong on this..it
is 2:30am and no vets to call at this hour!) of the micro-chip.

There is simply no way to read any other information that might be encoded
on a chip.  If the chip were to store more information, it would then
require some sort of power source, which would make it larger, and believe
me, I don't want my furkid running around with a 1 inch swelling in his
neck!

Joe