Date:
Wed, 30 Jan 2002 03:40:35 -0800
Deborah Kemmerer DVM wrote:
>The reason I don't post more is because there's a lot of vet bashing on
>this list. It's usually subtle, but there are lots of snide little
>comments.

There are good teachers and bad teachers; good secretaries and bad
secretaries; good veterinarians and bad veterinarians.  If someone makes
a snide little comment about their (ex)veterinarian I wouldn't think it
usual that another veterinarian would let it effect them personally.

I LOVE knowledgeable, caring, compassionate veterinarians!  That doesn't
mean that I have any illusions that they are perfect.

I HATE egotistical, ineffective, gouging veterinarians.  That doesn't mean
that they're not good with cats or dogs.  But it does mean that they are
useless (IMO) with the species that they said they would see, but didn't
know a darn thing about.  Many veterinarians are seeing "exotic" pets
without having any training with the species.  The attitude seems to be
"well, it's a lot like a cat....right?" I'll bet that Dr. Kemmerer has
been to numerous exotic veterinary conferences about ferrets; owns many
veterinary publications about ferrets; consults with other veterinarians
about ferrets; etc.  You've got to understand, that a large number of
veterinarians have not done any of that and don't even know what the
normal temperature is in a ferret.  Or know what ferretone is for (it's
for when you take a temperature or give an injection, right?  ;-)

>I can tell you that over the years many good vets have been driven
>off the FML by the comments people make here. It's difficult to have a
>friendly and helpful attitude toward folks who seem to believe that vets
>are basically greedy and/or and ignorant.

I really don't understand why a veterinarian would allow one or two
individuals to run them off the list.  Would the veterinarian quit his or
her practice if/when a client is unhappy and phones or writes a letter of
complaint?  Of course not!  So why quit when it happens elsewhere?

There are over 3,000 members of this list.  Even if 30 people decided to
attack something that a veterinarian says (and although I've only been
off and on this list for 6 years now) that's less than 1% of the list.
However, I've never noticed that anywhere near that number has had
anything negative to say during any particular discussion.

Veterinarians are not perfect and I suspect that even veterinarians have
made negative remarks about some professional.  A professor?  A MD?  And
perhaps even a fellow veterinarian?  Is it possibly just a difference of
saying something in public vs to a few friends?

PLEASE don't take anyone's comments personally.  You're an excellent
veterinarian and are a great help to many people!

Sandi

Best Little Rabbit, Rodent & Ferret House
   dba House Rabbit Society
a non-profit animal shelter
14325 Lake City Way NE
Seattle, WA 98125
(206)365-9105
Open 7 days/week or visit our on-line store at:
http://www.rabbitrodentferret.org