From:
"Church, Robert Ray (UMC-Student)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Jun 2003 07:35:32 -0500
Q: "Since Bill said he could post a picture, can you show us what you
    mean by ferrets not eating the dangerous parts?"

A: I can post one of my "rejected" photos that I am not reserving
for publication.  Remember, the bone eating series is intended for
publication, so I have to be careful of what I release so I can ethically
AND honestly affirm my work is original and not in the public domain.

http://homepage.mac.com/billgruber/chewedbones.jpg     [Size: 83K]

This photo shows bones that have been chewed by feral ferrets, wild
polecats, pet ferrets, mink, AND a prehistoric mustelid.  In ALL cases,
the soft parts of the bone are consumed, while the harder parts are
discarded.  The soft portions of the bones DO NOT SPLINTER, and are
therefore safe to eat with little risk.  The hard parts of the bones,
shown here, may splinter, but are generally discarded by animals that
are not starving, are completely consumed because the bones are soft
because the animal was immature, or the animals are not
"gnawing-starved;" that is, not "starved" for things to chew.

I will send a special certificate to ANYONE who can tell me which bones
in this photo were consumed by pet ferrets.  Ferrets eat bones JUST like
any other carnivore, and just as safely.  Risk IS associated with bone
eating, but an honest apprasial of bone-eating risk makes it a minor
concern compared to surgical risks, car travel, injection reactions,
or other household dangers.

Bob C