From:
Bruce Williams DVM <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Mon, 7 Feb 1994 07:45:12 -0500
        To Mike Janke concerning heartworm preventative -

        I believe that Interceptor is a form of ivermectin, which is the monthly
preventative in use all around the states.  While extensively tested in dogs, I
know of no testing in ferrets.  After reading your post - I searched my
database, and found five instances in which ivermectin has been used in ferrets
(all research applications in the study of various parasites in the ferret).
The articles made no mention of side-effects, although that was not the point of
the study.

        If it is in widespread use in ferrets in Miami, I would surmise that
there aren't many adverse reactions, or we would have heard about it by now.
Just remember that it is an extra-label usage (it is marketed for dogs), and be
wary for any type of reaction following dosage.

To Chris, Crimson, and Clover -

        Unfortunately, foods formultated for obese or inactive cats has
decreased levels of protein and carbohydrates.  I would suggest that you go back
to Iams kitten food, especially with a twelve-week old.  However, there is
nothing wrong with oranges (in moderation).

To Gerry Roston concerning people vaccinating their own pets -

       First off, I understand the finances involved with taking a pet to the
vet for its shots ($$$).  People wouldn't vaccinate their own children, would
they?
        Also, who issues the rabies and distemper vaccination certificates?  Who
examines the ferret for other health problems?  Animals should be occasionally
seen by a vet to be checked over.  The best time for this is during the annual
(or semiannual, for older animals) trips to the vet.

        Pet owners should be cognizant of the expenses of owning pets, and good
health care should be figured into it (this applies to all species, not just pet
owners).

        Proper health care should also be figured into the breeding and selling
of ferrets.  If the profit margin is so slim that people have to vaccinate at
home to sell ferrets, then it most likely isn't a profitable way to make money
anyhow. Then there are the owners who get pets on a whim, and run out of money
to take care of them properly....

        I don't want to get in trouble with the rescue facilities out there,
because the financial burden is even more difficult on you. But by vaccinating
ferrets prior to adopting them - you are ensuring that the ferret will wait at
least another year prior to seeing a vet.  Do the animal a favor - give him a
certificate for vaccination from your local vet (call your vet up - most of them
will be happy to work with you).

        I'm sure I'll hear from a lot of people on this subject and that's okay
(I shrink from NO controversy).  I am as outraged at the price of veterinary
care in this country as the rest of you are.  But good health care far outweighs
the cost-effectiveness of catalog-shopping for vaccines and needles.

Bruce Williams, DVM