From:
Kathy Maxwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Feb 2000 15:13:52 -0600
Hi to everyone in Fuzzyland,
Lydia I know how you feel.  We nicknamed our ferret Apollo-Crash and are
currently looking for a ferret sized flight helmet.  You don't know how
well you've named you furry until they live up to it.  Currently Apollo
thinks that when he climbs to the top of his 4 foot cage he is taking off
to the moon.  I guess he feels the view is better up there, but it scares
the living poopie right out of us.  Out of curiosity one day I watched to
see how he was getting down ( being close by in case he thought he had
developed flight skills ).  He positioned himself between the cage and the
wall and proceeded to climb down head first.  He thinks this is lots of
fun, but it gives us heart failure.  I'm always worried he is going to fall
and hurt himself or get his leg caught.  Coincidentally he has taken to
teaching some of his fellow astronauts and cage mates how to accomplish
this new found fun.

John on the subject of facts, early alterations and shortened life spans,
here is something to think about.  If a ferret is fixed at a very young
age ( in my opinion way to early ) I don't think there little hormones
have had a chance to figure out not only where they are going but what they
are doing yet.  This is only my opinion.  From my limited knowledge you
may want to converse with someone in England where the incidence rate of
shortened life span in regard to early alterations is very low, as early
age fixing is not as common a practice.  However keeping in mind that other
factors there figure into the picture.  The ferrets environment, housing,
whether or not they are working ferrets, and what they are fed also plays a
part in their ferrets living longer and perhaps healthier lives.  If your
looking for some real fact based info closer to home, you might want to
field this question to Bob C.

Kathy and the Fuzzy Collective