From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Sep 2002 21:56:49 -0400
[Sukie note: there has been a fascinating discussion series going on on
the FHL about kit immunity and kit vaccinations.  Here is part of it.]

http://www.smartgroups.com/message/readmessage.cfm?gid=1423922&messageid=1572

>I have recently read on another list that the distemper vaccination
>given at the "farms" is ineffective >since it is given when they are
>too young. They should be given 3 distemper shots after
>purchase, >not just two.

Dear X,

Generally maternal antibody begins to wane about 4-5 weeks, but there is
still considerable protection at 6 weeks.  However, remember that each
vaccine gives a boost to the immune protection.  So the way vaccinations
work is baby gets antibodies in milk during the first 24 hours (and
minimal amounts thereafter of a different, less effective type.) It
wanes, wanes, wanes, then BOOM, at 6 weeks, the vaccine comes, the ferret
is exposed to the virus, and the immune response goes higher than ever
before.  But as the six-week old really doesn't have a very effective
immune system yet, it wanes, wanes, and wanes.  So at 9 weeks we give
another and BOOM!  the immune response is better than it was after the
first one.  But it wanes, wanes wanes, and so at 11-12 weeks, we give
another and BOOM and so on at 16 weeks.

Many ferrets only get three, so it isn't quite as strong at the end, but
it generally does the trick very well.  Each vaccine boosts the memory
and protection of the immune system, taking it to new heights.

Then why do adults only get two?  Well, it has to do with the maturity
and efficiency of the immune system.  Their immune system can do much
more with a vaccine, so they don't need as many.  However, if a adult
ferret has NEVER received any shots, I have no qualms about recommending
a three shot series.  But many adults have had at least that first
introduction as a 6 week old, so two is usually the standard.

With kindest regards,
Bruce Williams, DVM

http://www.smartgroups.com/message/readmessage.cfm?gid=1423922&messageid=1573

>I am not a vet, but I thought that the maternal antibodies were passed
>on, in part, through the mother's milk, and therefore, when they wore off
>was dependent on when the kits stopped nursing.

Y: This would not be a good way to start vaccinations.  The maternal
antibodies of any note, IgM and IgG against distemper (and other
diseases), are passed on only nursing during the first 24 hours.  The
kit's stomach is programmed not to digest this protein, but to absorb it
directly across the wall into the bloodstream but for 24 hours only.
After this, a small amount of a weak antibody known as IgA will continue
to be passed in the milk and line the kits stomach, but it really poses
minimal defense against distemper.  After 24 -48 hours, the acid
secretion in the kits stomach kicks in, and it will treat maternal
antibodies like any other protein and digest it.

This is why: a) nursing in the first 24 hours is critical (all the
maternal antibodies are passed in the thick colostrum in the first 24
hours) and why b) colostrum given after 24 hours provides no protection.

With kindest regards,
Bruce Williams, DVM