From:
Sheila Crompton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Jun 1996 20:20:09 +0100
>>I was wondering....  How much did a ferreter earn for his services?

David: I can answer part of your question.  In 1272 the capture of rabbits
with ferrets at Waleton is mentioned by Thorold Rogers in his "History of
Agriculture and Prices in England", and ten year later Richard le Forester
was paid 3s.  6d.  for catching rabbits and keeping ferrets for the King at
Rhuddlan Castle in Flintshire.  I would imagine that the 3s.  6d.  would be
one year's wages!!

Sheila
Bolton Ferret Welfare & Newsletter Editor of the
National Ferret Welfare Society of the UK
The opinions expressed by me are not necessarily those of the NFWS