Date:
Tue, 24 Jun 2008 09:37:29 -0500
I've had good results with dexamethasone injections and sub-q lactated
ringers to help with appetite recovery after surgery. Dexamethasone
takes down inflammation and appears to relieve nausea. Dehydration can
cause lack of appetite. We give injectable baytril as a precaution too.

For recipe feedings I don't add kibble because kibble is gritty so our
after surgery recipe is turkey and gravy baby food, water, ferretvite
and ferretone.

I've found it very helpful to feed frequently, working up to every 4
hours around the clock. Sometimes I start with as little as 3 - 5 cc's
each hour and when the little one eats 20cc's or more at a time then I
increase the time between feedings. I aim for each 4 hour feeding to be
20cc's or more.

I stopped having insulinoma surgeries on older ferrets a few years ago
after having multiple ferrets with similar results that is seen with
your ferret. It was a personal decision and only made after much
deliberation.

Healing hugs. tle
www.ferretfamilyservices.org