From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Jul 2000 14:22:07 -0400
Shelter folks: which one of you was it who had a company that makes dog
wheelchairs turnout a very successful wheelchair for a ferret (BEAR?)?
Which company made it, please?  It strikes me that Randy's little one might
(but might not) find that useful, and others -- including us -- may need
that info down the line.  I used to have the record of that but lost it
with computer problems when I lot of files got lost (and some strange
letters resurfaced after having not truly flushing).  It's good information
to keep around just in case.  I am not suggesting a loaner for use by just
anyone.  We actually made a wheelchair many, many.  many years ago, then
lent it to someone but never got it back.  One component was something
which stopped being made and we never could make one again.  Of course, it
was no where as good as a that one made for the shelter ferret.

I so fondly recall reading about the first time that ferret got his
wheelchair -- how he changed from a reclusive boy, and he spun around
playing like mad, then climbed, wheelchair and all, into the shelter
person's lap to kiss and cuddle.

Jamie, having a carrot causing the blockage you mentioned is something
which has been reported here before, maybe three to six times or so over
the years, if memory holds.  Carrots seem to be a repeat culprit.  Glad
you let us all know.  It's good for people to see what causes blockages and
how common those causes are.  Some big ones, of course, include latex and
rubber, ditto some types of cloth, and build-ups of fur.

Meat: if only meat is fed then the ferret will develop serious nutritional
deficiencies.  Remember that the wild ancestors had almost the FULL animal
killed to consume and also ate some things on and off beyond that.  There
are a lot of components in other parts of the animals killed by wild
carnivores which do not appear in muscle tissue (meat).  Meat alone is NOT
a balanced diet, even for a strict carnivore.  If you want to serve a more
"wild" diet then get the frozen baby mice available at some pet stores, or
read up on Bob's "gravy".  I know that you weren't thinking of only meat,
but every once in a while someone's ferret gets nailed by that so figured
the general reminder makes sense.  Most of our's won't touch meat unless it
is pureed then some love it as a treat.  There is someone here who feeds
(almost only?) those little feeder mice and he says that his ferrets often
reach 10 years of age and come from multiple sources -- IF I recall right.
It's not something which can be managed here for an assortment of reasons.

Yesterday, twice, Meeteetse did not know that she was still urinating and
walked away still "going" with a full stream.  Like John's Cassie she is
getting on in years, is 7 and 3/4, has an adrenal neoplasia and insulinoma
(as well as a splenic growth that is thought to be benign) so has medical
treatment for same, also has some hind end problems so medications being
adjusted, and is apparently recently having some neurological problems.  In
her case she sometimes does not seem to always be able to feel that she
needs to defecate until the very last minute, and apparently now does not
always know when she is urinating.  Guess we will wait to get a new carpet.
(Oh, do I hate this old carpet, but...) Otherwise she is fine.  She plays
with the ferrets who play at her own speed (They adjust down), still has
the best stamina of any of the ferrets, kisses and cuddles, loves her
treats, makes happy noises like ferret laughter ("heh-heh-heh") when
having fun or getting a treat, still jumps right into a challenge, etc.
Basically, she is an old lady with medical needs and we are trying to find
ways to adjust around her needs so suggestions are appreciated.  Meeteetse
was on National Public Radio's All Things Considered letters section three
times because she loves the voice of Richard Harris so much that she would
dance when he spoke and then climb up to the speakers and KISS them, and
because listeners liked hearing and commenting about her.  This love of his
voice has always been there for her; to her his voice is the perfect voice.
She came here as a kit, an abuse victim with a badly broken tail and a
mouth abscess which caused her to bite (and led to the jerks who had her
beating her instead of getting her medical care), but after the correction
of her medical problem she never bit again, though she will tenderly hold
my big toe between her teeth if she isn't feeling well being so tender that
she doesn't even pinch me, and we understand that signal.  She has always
had popped nodes and always had a very rapid heartbeat, with her thyroid
and lifespan in question as a kit.  Look at her now -- going on 8 years
old, albeit with some problems, but still enjoying life.  (About two years
ago her left adrenal and first bout of insulinoma were surgically fixed,
and last year she beat a freak bout of pneumonia with pleurosy.) Now, we
just have to find out how to make her quality of that life even better.
Imagine a stinky, waddling, pudgy, old chocolate who hasn't lost her fur
this time around -- now imagine her being FULL of kisses and you'll have
Meeteese's image in your mind.