Date:
Tue, 21 Feb 1995 09:40:00 CST
Anna - Ringworm is passed by hair folicles.  I was in the same predicament
several years ago when some children brought 2 badly infected kittens to
my door.  What could I do - I had to care for them.  Even though I housed
them outside, a neighbor child tranmitted the infection to the ferrets.
Some got it and some didn't, and most went away without more than a
topical treatment.  Whitney got it the worst (she had insulinoma) because
her immune system wasn't working properly.  She had to be treated with
topicals, shampoo, and even the pills but as soon as I stopped treatment
she would get it again.  She was on medication till she died in November.
I didn't get it, but children are highly susceptible (and some adults).
To treat the ferrets (either for infection or so they wouldn't get it) I
used Sebolux antifungal shampoo and Fungisan (a clear painless, odorless
topical solution).  I also had to disinfect myself and clothes before
entering our home with a highly diluted bleach and water mixture ( 1 part
bleach to 30 parts water).  After medicating the kittens I washed my hands
and arms and shoes in the solution (actually I was reprimanded by my vet
because I used straight bleach on myself) and the kittens were wiped down
with the mixture because they were so badly infected (not face area).
   The problem you may have by not medicating the mother is that the kittens
will probably get it too and then you will be medicating all and taking the
chance of transmitting to your ferrets.  It was a 6 week process for me for
just the 2 kittens and the fear of bringing it in to my home.  If you'd like
more info you can email me at:  [log in to unmask]

hugs to all.  tle