Date:
Thu, 14 Jun 2007 15:54:26 -0700
Below is the email I received from the Special Uses Permit Manager. It
would appear that they themselves are already including ferrets with
dogs, cats, and rabbits!!! Good news!!! (Unless there is something I
don't know)...

Laryssa

"Ms. ********,

Thank you for your comment. The New Mexico Department of Game and Fish
only has jurisdiction over the importation of "non-domestic" animals.
We recognize that there are, quite extensively in the pet trade and
pet community, domesticated ferrets. Domesticated ferrets, as with any
other domesticated animal, are not subject to the importation rule. All
non-domesticated animals, such as the black-footed ferret currently
being reintroduced to the wild in northeastern New Mexico, do require
an importation permit. The community of domestic ferrets owners should
rest assured that the proposed amendment of the importation rule,
19.35.7 NMAC may affect only those people (individuals or businesses)
wishing to import non-domestic animals into New Mexico. While there
has been discussion about what is domestic and what is non-domestic,
the discussion has not extended to domestic ferrets any more than it
has extended to domestic dogs, cats or rabbits.

I hope this helps clarify this issue. If you have any additional
questions or comments, please feel free to contact me.

Thank you,

Rhonda Holderman
Special Uses Permit Manager
NM Department of Game and Fish