Date:
Sat, 4 May 2002 22:05:14 -0700
There is a web site from an "exotic" vet clinic at: http://www.exopet.com.
I am appalled by some of the information there and am hopeful that some
FMLers could send some polite, constructive comments to him.

It's my understanding that most veterinarians don't promote severe
punishment as a form of training, and I believe all of the recent ferret
books and publications state specifically that ferrets should NOT be hit.

However, this vets advice:
(1) NIPPY MONSTERS: He calls ferrets "nippy monster(s)" which seems to set
the tone for his dealings and thoughts about our friends.

(2) PET GRADE FERRETS "However, the minute a baby ferret begins to bite
a person's finger, discipline is applied ..."..........." Only when the
little darlings have learned that (licking or) biting human skin is
totally unacceptable does one have a "Pet Grade Ferret"."

(3) THUMP YOUR FERRET ON THE NOSE GIVING STRONGER PUNISHMENT EACH TIME.
"Begin with a gentle thumping on the nose of the ferret and a firm "NO"
each time he or she tries to (lick or) bite.  This must be strong enough
that the ferret knows it is punishment, not play, and each time the
"message" must be stronger.  By the tenth "transgression", the response
must be very strong.

You can find all of his recommendations at http://www.exopet.com.

Sandi Ackerman