From:
Kathy Colgin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Apr 2002 21:29:56 EDT
Hi all,
I am a new ferret owner.  I have two wonderful boys, Austin and Scooter.
Let me tell you, if I would have known they were this much fun, I would
probably not have the other animals I have currently.  But I love all my
animals.  I bought this book called "Ferrets for Dummies", you probably
all know the series.  I thought it was a great book.  Most of the topics
I had already heard from other ferret owners, this list and the shelter
where I got the little ones!

I however cannot find the answer to this question:
My two make this sound when they are playing either with me or with each
other.  I hope I can describe it.  They run around jumping, then they look
at you and sort of laugh.  It is like they are breathing in and out really
fast with their mouth open.  Like a HEE HEE HEE HEE.  I do not think they
are upset but sometimes I wonder because they only make this sound when
they are "wound up".  I really watch and read the signals they give out,
so I want to make sure this is an OK sound and not a bad one.  Anyone know
what I am referring to?  I know the "dooking" sound when they run around
and jump.  I also know the hiss and they do that to each other (not me yet
thank goodness) when they are kind of tired of each other or if one takes
a toy from the other.

I also wanted to add that I enjoy this list.  I get some good insights
and answers.  I even went out and bought a big box of starch peanuts, not
styrofoam!  I am just glad I read this list and took them out ASAP.

Thanks!
Kathy