From:
Cris Page <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 May 2000 23:03:31 +0100
I hadnt posted before on this but I have been in touch with Sheila who
posted on it originally.  I have already sent in a letter to the RSPCA
expressing my disgust at the actions of this Inspector, and asking for
an explaination of how such an appalling thing could happen.  I too am
disappointed that there has been little response from UK owners to this.
In fact this is an ALL ANIMAL issue, as other species have been affected by
this organsisations inconsistancies before, and will be again unless they
are FORCED adopt some national guidelines, or better, have thier activities
and limitations set out in LAW.

The point in my mind is that Boe wasnt thiers to do anything to.  The RSPCA
is NOT an OFFICIAL body..  they are a charitable (sic) organisation.  In
common law I dont think they had any LEGAL right to euthanase (murder is
a more appropriate term....) this pet.  I am sure that in fact there are
grounds for a CRIMINAL prosecution as the act of the inspector deprived the
owner of Boe of his property.  I am also sure that as "lost property" the
Police would have to ensure that Boe was available should his owners appear
within a few days of his appearance at the Police station.  (my
understanding is that Boe in fact "surrendered himself" at a Police
Station... smart or what ?)

I know from Sheila that the owners are waiting for the result of the
internal enquiry that the RSPCA are conducting (well that should take
what... 10 mins ??) Whatever happens as a result, unless it gives rise to
animals being protected in law from this organisation it will not be good
enough.  I truely hope that they will contact the national media and both
thier Member of Parliament, and their Assembly Member, and demand that
action be taken to control this organisation that seems to have lost sight
of both its aims (animal welfare) and its limitations (NOT A STATUTARY
BODY).

COME ON UK OWNERS LETS HEAR FROM YOU !!!  THIS IS IMPORTANT.....TO ALL
SPECIES!!

Cris Page.