Date:
Thu, 28 Oct 2004 00:22:44 -0400
I've been trying to get an update out for days now but...as usual, I'm
late.  :)

My insurance adjuster was here 3 weeks ago.  Gave him pictures I'd taken,
he took some also and receipts for the few repairs I'd been able to get
done.  He said I need *half* a roof but I'm not comfortable with that so
we'll see.

Only two roofers out of three that have come out have sent a written
estimate.  All 3 say I need an entire new roof.  Still trying to get more
estimates but everyone is so very busy with worse damage than I have.
One of the roofers put a temporary patch over the holes and so far, it
seems to be working.  Fortunately too, we haven't had much rain.

Yesterday was a panic.  Got the letter from the insurance company stating
what they would do but It said I had to get the work done, have them
inspect it then they would pay me.  There was also wording stating a
deductible would be made for RECOVERABLE DEPRECIATION.  I couldn't find
that term anywhere in my policy and couldn't reach my adjuster so started
making phone calls, including the FL Insurance Commissioners office who
said they would file a complaint.  Got a call first thing this morning
from someone in the home office of my Ins. Co. who said my name popped
up on his computer this morning. :)  He was very nice and great sense of
humor.  Bottom line is I will be getting a check to start repairs even
tho it will only be for half a roof :).  He did say it's possible they
will have to do a reinspection, especially when I told him how mildew is
spreading so fast and 3 roofers say the whole thing needs to be replaced.
They'll also seal and paint my bedroom where the leak is plus the ceiling
on the porch.  What I've put out already is much more than my deductible
but my main concern is getting the roof replaced and the mold taken
care of.

Haven't even started getting prices to pressure clean the mildew and
paint the exterior, waited to see if the ins.  co.  would take care of
it.  They are only offering to do the porch ceiling but mildew is really
spreading on the back and front of the house plus the vinyl fence out
front.  I'll have to fight for this I think.

I was told today about someone's relative who received basically the
same type of letter and interpreted it the same as I did.  If any of you
who have damages received one similar, call the home office for your
insurance company.

FEMA was out also and they aren't going to do anything.  They said IF I
had purchased a generator they would reimburse me but not for a rental.
The rental along with all the things I had to buy to make it run cost
right at 500.00!  The Blue Roof people called today offering to put a
tarp up but told them I already had one.  Thanks Ann!!!

It's been a sad 3 weeks also with the loss of two very special boys just
a week apart. :(

Hopefully, a check will be in soon.  Now to try to get all the
estimates in.

I've very slowly been working on thank you cards but the computer has
been pretty uncooperative when I get time to work on it.  I haven't
forgotten the help many of you have been and I appreciate it so very
much.  Many, many thanks again!!!

Jackie