From:
Katherine Fritz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Tue, 23 Feb 1993 16:28:25 -0500
Hey, everyone --

It's been awhile since I've posted -- a combination of things I won't get
into right now, but anyway, here I am.

Roger McMillian -- I sent you a message about the ferret survey. Let me
know if you didn't get it.

Suki and Steve -- always great to hear from you.  I always learn something
when you post!  Glad to hear everyone's well, and that you've got new
additions to the family!  It was funny to read that you call Ann Jeglum
"Dr. Lympho" -- I didn't know you knew her.  Bandit gets his chemo from her.

My news is mainly -- Molly gave us a scare last night.  I took the kids to
the vet for their annual checkup, rabies & distemper shots -- Bandit
didn't get any shots 'cause he's on chemo, and was unbearably smug about
it.  Anyhow, Dr. Harris said he'd never seen so many ferrets in one place
before (five) and was impressed (they were all on their best behavior).
All in good health, though Charlie is developing cataracts.  We'd
suspected it for awhile, but weren't sure because it doesn't affect his
behavior at all.

Their reactions to the shots were all different -- Charlie struggled,
Sigmund squealed, Pogo was quiet, and Molly hissed.  Immediately after,
Molly ran up in my arms and wanted to be held, which is NOT like her at
all.  She has NEVER wanted comforting before, and I told Dr. Harris so.
Well, not five minutes later she started to throw up, and she continued to
throw up until Dr. Harris gave her an antihistamine shot.  Apparently
she'd had an allergic reaction to either the rabies or the distemper, but
it's not clear which, particularly since she's had both shots before and
never had a reaction.

We wrapped her in a towel, and put her on a heating pad, and watched her
for about an hour, but she was all done in and just lay there quietly.
When I got her home, she slept on Jeff's chest for another hour and a half
(also a first).  We had her in the bedroom all night, and just let her
have water, and by morning she was her usual squirmy self again.  Dr.
Harris says he's never seen a ferret react like that before, or so
quickly.  He said it reminded him of how some cats used to react to some
kind of shot (sorry, I've forgotten which one) before the dosage was
changed.  Does that ring a bell to anyone?

Anyway, she's fine now, but it really gave us a scare.  Watching a ferret
throw up is a frightening sight, I have to say.

Also, if anyone has additional information about cataracts in ferrets, I
would be grateful for it.  Like I said, it is not affecting Charlie's
behavior, nor does it seem to hamper him in anyway, but I'd like to know
more.

Katie, Jeff, Bandit, Molly, Charlie, Pogo & Sigmund
Small Mammals Section Leader/CompuServe Pets Forum
Internet: [log in to unmask]  CIS: 71257,3153