From:
Mary McCarty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Apr 2010 08:03:09 -0700
Hi Lisette,

>I finally figured out how to see something about the Pennsyvania
>shelter and got on the web site. But the first page talks about 2
>shelters and how strong they are going: how well that they are doing.
>But the sceond thing I click on says that only one shelter is open.

We're not too hard to find, we're on just about every shelter list out
there and our website is www.ferretrescue.com. We've been around since
1994 (as the Central PA Ferret Rescue run by Kymberlie Becker, now Kym
Constanzo) and then switched to the multi-branch shelter in 1997, as
the Pennsylvania Ferret Rescue Assn (branches run by Kym, Tara Palaski
and myself). I'm the last man standing as we are back to a single
branch in State College, PA. I do have shelter kids in my home, but
we also run more as a foster home system these days - I couldn't do
it without my wonderful foster families :)

The PFRA also spawned the Pennsylvania Ferret Club & Shelter, when Kym
closed her branch her group of volunteers took over and reformed as the
PFCS.

>That is a large discrepency. Am I missing web pages? Are there
>pictures of the current shelter anywhere? How many shelters ARE
>there actually?

There is no discrepancy, unfortunately - just lack of a webmaster since
2006 (although soon to change, I hope, thanks to a dear friend), it's
been difficult to get the main website updated.

So I depend on our petfinder site that I can update myself (there is
link on the Centre County page to our petfinder page).

>It concerns me when shelters do not put up pictures of their
>facility on their web site. Anyone around long enough has...

Rarely do shelters post pictures of their facility, although they do
exist as I have taken pic's of the shelter room on occasion over the
years.

>discovered that a person or people in high esteem in the ferret world
>have had conditions in their shelter that were unforgivable. I hope
>that this would be a very fine shelter. If not, perhaps that is of
>concern to the people that now have the babies?

I understand your concern, but many people have been to my home and all
one has to do is ask :)

I would of course expect a shelter to check me out - if asked I can
provide references from vets, shelters, breeders and owners. Since I've
been around for years and am known by quite a few people in the ferret
community, one could also search on-line and get an idea of what my
shelter is like from folks who have been here or who dealt with me
directly.

I also did the same with FRES when I heard that was where my baby girl
was - I have gotten good reviews for the most part, so that is
comforting to know she is safe.

I've also been a member of the FML since 1996 (I remember when you
first joined, Lisette) and am on many other boards & lists, as well.
While I haven't been as active on-line in the past couple of years,
I am still here :)

>Is there a page I was too ignorant to get to showing the actual
>shelter? Could someone email me the actual site the picture is on?

There is no picture of my home on-line. However, if you would like to
visit, you are more than welcome :)

>P.S. ....The best of luck to the shelters resolving the issue of two
>ferrets now apparently in foster care now. Perhaps the ferrets were
>in such bad condition that no arrangements can be made now without
>endangering the lives of the ferrets and shelter mom or dad

Thank you for your best wishes, however I have been assured that the
ferrets are not sick in anyway.

Mary

www.ferretrescue.com
www.nbferret.com