From:
Melissa Barnes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Dec 2001 07:12:20 -0800
Just wanted to clarify something about what seemed to be a point of
disagreement to many in my post yesterday.  (It was the only part of my
post that anyone responded negatively to on list, so I assume it was
perhaps the most upsetting...)

>Of the many many ferrets they breed, occasionally a very small number of
>them are shipped too early.  This is an infrequent mistake.

I did not intend to suggest this was not happening, nor did I intend to
suggest that when this happened it was not a problem.  And I do believe
other's experience on this list when they say that it happens, that it
is horrible, and that it should be stopped.

My point is, Marshall Farms produces very large numbers of ferrets.  Even
of those experiences I've heard, it does not imply to me that MF considers
it regular practice to ship these ferrets too young.  The percentages
speak for themselves.  Small numbers, a few shipments here or there, (even
if those numbers are increasing, which I also do agree is bad practice,)
are still comparatively very few ferrets, and must be considered isolated
incidents.  Of COURSE we should be upset at this, and of COURSE we should
let Marshall Farms know that this sort of thing will not be tolerated, but
in reality, MOST Marshall Farms ferrets are NOT shipped too young.

I'm certain that Marshall Farms does not really want or intend to ship
ferrets too young.  As a breeder of ferrets, and as a company it is
simply bad business.  I don't say it doesn't happen, but I find it highly
unlikely that more than one or two people at Marshall Farms would respond
to complaints with "just send them back and we'll replace them, but of
course we will destroy the young ones."  This is downright bad business.
Why would they so sabotage themselves?  Shipping out ferrets they KNOW are
too young, assuming that it would be ok because if someone DID complain
they would simply replace the ferrets and destroy the others?  I doubt it.
Even removing the humane notions about such a thing, would they knowingly
and intentionally leave themselves open for such a profit loss, when
waiting another two weeks would give them TWICE the profit?

Again, I don't doubt it happens, but it is unreasonable for us to assume
Marshall Farms will not cooperate with ways to stop such things.  It is
in their best interests to do so.  It is in their best interests, and
they know it, NOT to ship ferrets too young.  They know it, we know it,
and I do think both would be more than willing to do something about it.
According to Sukie's post yesterday, MF WILL do something about it when
these things are reported to them.  That is hope right there.

Melissa Barnes