From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Jul 2002 22:33:32 -0400
>her that there are multiple strains of distemper, and the vaccination is
>only effective against one of them.  Is this true?

I recently received tissues from a relatively large outbreak of distemper
affecting multiple households which housed rescue ferrets.  I received
tissues from only a portion of the animals (13); the total of affected
and killed animals was significantly higher.  This outbreak, like many
others, was precipitated by introduction of an unvaccinated animal into a
rescue operation in which there were likely numerous other unvaccinated
animals.  The predisposition toward vaccination of the operator of the
rescue is not known, nor is the vaccination history of the other animals
in the household.  But the reality of the situation is that many animals
died needlessly.

While there are multiple distemper strains out there, vaccination is
cross-protective against all of them.  Any assertions to the contrary
are dangerously untrue.

With kindest regards,
Bruce Williams, DVM