Date:
Wed, 9 Dec 1998 22:26:58 -0400
I was taking a study-break tonight and tuned into Fox's Party of Five
(produce by Sony).  There was a ferret on the show that two of the main
characters (Griffin and Claudia) save from being stuffed and buried with
its deceased owner.  However, they turn around and release into the forest
and state that because it is a predator it will be alright.  My wife and I
were horrified that this made it onto the TV.  I surfed around tonight and
found a couple of Sony and Fox websites and sent them the following letter.
I don't know if it will get through, but if anyone knows who to contact, I
will be glad to write another letter.

Thanks,

Sean

***********************************
I was watching Party of Five this evening and was pleased to see a pet
ferret on the show; however, I was horrified to see that Griffin and
Claudia dumped the animal in the forest.  Apparently your writers didn't
research this very well.  First of all, ferrets are domestic animals and as
with most domestic animals, they can't survive in the wild for more than a
couple of days (at best).  Most of these abandoned animals die a horrible
death: starvation, hit by a car, killed by another animal.  Tonight you
propagated an old wives tale that pets can survive in the wild.  In
addition, you encouraged countless Americans to break state and national
laws concerning animal abandonment and neglect which can lead to thousands
of dollars in fines and jail time.  I highly recommend that you research
this issue and make a statement concerning the impropriety of this action.

Sincerely,

Sean D. Sawyer
University of Pennsylvania
School of Veterinary Medicine
Class of 2000

PS. I received email from the following Sony address and sent email to the
following Fox address.

Sean D. Sawyer V'00