From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Nov 1997 12:17:34 -0500
Another thing to be thankful for on Thanksgiving:
As you all know, I sent out letters with SASEs to all the major health
dept.s in the U.S.  to find out how their policies in cases of rabies
exposure and biting incidents would be affected by the improvements in the
Compendium.  Today I got a call (in lieu of a letter) from Dr. Satalowich of
the Missouri Dept. of Health.  He turns out to be a jovial, very common-sense
guy who said to me that he figured that the 1998 Compendium is based upon
such very good, hard data that all the states will probably adopt it;
therefore, that my effort to find out what each was planning was "spinning
wheels" (said in a kind way).  I replied that we certainly hoped so, but
given the history of how ferrets had been trteated in many areas we felt it
was best for ferret owners to have solid information (which he appreciated,
and I won't say his comment -- which had me in gales of laughter -- about
those which might not follow the Compendium right away).  The upshot is that
you FML readers in Missouri should know that Missouri WILL follow the 1998
Compendium.

Has anyone checked to see if this will affect policies in other countries?

Sukie