From:
Catherine Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Jun 1999 11:48:12 EDT
Ed, you're making Catherine nervous.  Very, very nervous.

But then the topic of cloning and Eugenics usually does, I'm afraid.  I
realize that a "cloned" animal would be identical in DNA, etc.  But it
still could not be the "same" in my opinion.  Life experiences aren't
cloned along with rest.  Thank God.  And I, for one, with my beliefs, do
not like the idea of "playing God." (I think he does quite a good job
without any help from me, thank you very much........)

Now, I'm not saying that "cloning" does not have some very beneficial uses,
such as for skin grafts for burn patients, or helping people with
genetic-related disabilities.  (Folks, I'm no Scientist or Doctor, so
excuse me if I'm way off base here with uses..........)

But I can see some very unsettling and frightening things coming from it.
Hell Ed, I miss my Father and Grandfather terribly, but I'm not going to go
out and exhume them to get some cells so that I can "recreate" them.  Or,
I'm not going to tell Mom to have some cells taken from my quite elderly
Grandma before she passes on so that we can "recreate" her and "never be
without her." And I sure as hell wouldn't want it done to me.  Sorry, but
it sounds like something out of a Stephen King novel.

Although, when the time comes (and I hope it doesn't for a long, long time
yet...........) when my babies pass over the Rainbow Bridge, I will grieve
for them.  But I will be content to wait until we are reunited once again.
Each one of us is unique in our own way, and nothing, not even a "clone" of
them, could replace them.

Just one last comment.  I thought that responsible, intelligent breeders
(and there are quite a few on this list) already did breed based upon
desirable traits, such as temperament.

Or maybe I misunderstood you completely.  But then, I can never tell when
you're "pulling our chains" or serious.

Catherine, Pato, Snowball, Hubert and Elsie
"Nervous Behind The Zion Curtain"