From:
Lee McKee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Mar 1996 00:06:22 EST
This morning, we will be having our first Ferret Frolic in Massachusetts --
in the State capitol building!

The events will take place, rain, snow, sleet or shine, so if you're coming,
start early and drive slowly.  The Great Hall is on the second floor of the
State House.

It would be great if ferret owners could come (with proof of vaccination for
rabies and distemper) by 10am.  The press conference (and the games) will
start at 10:45.

We need to be cleared out of the hall by noon.

Here's our press release--you read it here first:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE                 CONTACT:  Sharon Burbine
MARCH 7, 1996                                   (617) 224-1098

                  FERRETING OUT FUN IN THE STATEHOUSE

(BOSTON) - In the Great Hall of the Massachusetts State House, the champions
of Weld and Kerry raced through tubes to predict the outcome of the Senate
race.  Contestants lined up to be judged for the blackest nose.  And some
vied to see who could dance their way out of a paper bag.

All of these games were part of the very first Bay State Ferret Frolic, a
sort of Olympics for these domesticated relatives of the weasel and the
otter.  The Massachusetts Friends of the Domestic Ferret held this Frolic to
celebrate the official enactment of the bill legalizing ownership of
ferrets.  The State House was chosen to host the Frolic by way of thanks to
the Governor and those in the Legislature who passed the Ferret Bill, many
of whom had never seen a ferret.

Nationally as well as statewide, ferret owners are recognizing today as
Ferret Freedom Day, in honor of Massachusetts becoming the 48th state to
legalize ferret ownership.  While today's activities are all in fun, there
is a serious side to the festivities.

Prior to legalization, the owners of the estimated 12,000 ferrets in the
State could not take their beloved pets out in public without fear of
confiscation.  Local veterinarians could not treat ferrets, without fear
of losing their licenses.  Even worse, some owners were not getting the
information that they needed to take proper care of their animals.

"Ferrets aren't that hard to care for, but they do have specific needs,"
said Sharon Burbine, spokesperson for the Friends of Ferrets.  These needs
include high-protein food, the right types of vaccines, and lots of
supervised exercise.  "It was hard getting the information out to people
when they were afraid to make themselves known."

Now that the legal barriers are removed, the Friends of Ferrets organization
will be working openly to educate owners -- "we're not promoting ownership,
we're promoting responsible pet ownership", said Burbine -- as well as pet
shop personnel, animal control officers, and shelter workers on the handling
of ferrets.

"We are also putting vets in touch with each other, who need to consult
about this animal they may not have seen much, or at all, in practice,"
Burbine said.  "We have contacts with vets in New England and elsewhere who
have long experience with ferrets."

The hardest task for the group may be in countering public misperceptions of
the ferret as a nasty-tempered rodent.  "Well, to begin with, they're not
rodents," Burbine laughed.  "As for the rest, they're not inherently
vicious.  As with kittens and puppies, you have to train them how to behave
with people.  It comes back to being a responsible owner -- if you can't
spend enough time with your pet to train it or enjoy it, then maybe you
should consider something else."

Those who need information about caring for ferrets or about the laws
regarding ferrets, and veterinarians needing referrals for consultation, may
call the Massachusetts Friends of Ferrets Hotline (617) 224-1098.