From:
Nancy Farlow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Dec 2005 18:40:02 -0500
The best way I've found is to ask your vet to give you the medication in
tablet form.  Scruff the ferret with one hand, open his mouth with the
little finger of the other hand while holding the tablet between your
thumb and forefinger.  Put the tablet on the back of the tongue, then
quickly shut the ferret's mouth and stroke his throat until he swallows.

This method has two big advantages, IMHO:
1) The ferret gets exactly the prescribed dosage - no splashing as with
liquids, or left-overs on the dish as when the meds are mixed with food.
2) The ferret doesn't get the full impact of any bad taste associated
with his meds.  The pill goes down the throat before much of it dissolves
in the mouth.  Some of the antibiotics, especially, are extremely bitter
tasting (I've tried them).  No wonder some ferrets fight like crazy to
keep that stuff out of their mouths!

Puppies are very adaptable and can learn to live harmoniously with other
house pets with proper and consistent training.  I had seven ferrets when
I got my Rhodesian Ridgeback puppy (this is a large, tenacious hound with
a strong prey drive that is bred for hunting lions and other big game).
He grew up to love the ferrets.  He will play with them, sleep together
with them, and even let them snitch food out of his dish while he is
eating!  He will also quickly dispatch a woodchuck or rabbit that happens
to cross his path in the woods.  He knows the difference between his
house mates and his prey - this can be taught to a puppy.

Nancy