From:
"Donna L. Carlsen" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Oct 1998 01:26:05 EDT
You would be amazed at how many people consider a ferret that is just 2
years or older as "old."

Many callers wishing to adopt always request a "kit".  I usually inform them
that I NEVER have any kits available, as they are hardly ever surrendered.
A person will wait until a ferret has been with them at LEAST a year before
they have an excuse to give them up.  Most of the ferrets that come through
this shelter are at least 2 years old or more.

These "older" ferrets were surrendered because of lifestyle changes
(divorce), moving, etc.  They have been the most well-behaved, loving and
enjoyable ferrets I have ever known.  Why their age would make a difference
is puzzling to me.

Yes, some folks would like a kit to "raise" and train themselves, and that
is wonderful.  They will experience true ferret ownership, and be wiser for
it.  It sure is a learning experience.  But if you want to skip the potty
mishaps, the nipping, the hard work and extra time it takes for a kit (just
like a kitten or a puppy), them please adopt an "older" ferret from a
shelter.

A little red-eyed white girl named Mystie came here a while ago.  when she
was 5 or 6 years old, her owner decided she needed a pal.  They purchased a
male kit, who subsequently grew large and aggressive.  A nice enough
ferret, but no match for poor old Mystie.  She was brought to the shelter
with signs of advanced adrenal disease, with a noticeable bald spot on her
head and an extremely swollen vulva.  The owners knew there was a problem,
but ignored it.  They decided to keep their "new", healthy ferret.

Mystie suffered an insulinoma seizure shortly after arriving. She is
guesstimated to be 6 or 7 years old. She is currently on 3 different
medications, as well as Pepto-Bismol every night.

Mystie is a very loving ferret, giving kisses, and she is quite beautiful.
Despite her medical problems, she is a wonderful pet.  Her previous owners
excuse was that they just couldn't afford to take her to a vet.  So they
spent $100 for a new ferret.

Mystie's medicine is very expensive, along with her vet bills.  But I
wouldn't trade Mystie for any other ferret in the world.  I feel very
fortunate to have her as a permanent resident at the shelter.  She has
been a joy.

Thank you for your interest. If you would like more information on Mystie,
please feel free to E-mail.

Donna L. Carlsen
Angel Ferret Shelter & Shop