From:
Mahlyssa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Nov 2002 15:44:11 -0500
Hello,

Well... The two new girl ferrets have been with us about almost 3 weeks.
They are doing great!  Zena is putting on weight quickly and Topaz is
putting on some weight.  They love to play in the morning between 7 and 9
and then they go back to sleep until around 5-ish and stay awake about an
hour..  and then they are up running around from 11-2.  I was wondering
if it is normal for them to sleep so long?  My baby Zama - is up running
around constantly during the day and then sleeps at night until about
11 am.

Zama's goal lately has been to find a secret sleeping spot the girls
don't know about!!  This is especially important since Topaz has kicked
him outta the Tea Towel drawer.  They had a very noisy fight in the
drawer and my father took them out and put them in their own beds.  Then
when he turned his back on Topaz - poof she was in the drawer again all
happy she won!!  After losing the drawer he decided the hole under the
couch was even better, but then Zena comes dancing over and beats him up
and he loses that spot toO!!  Then... we have a cat tent (Its like a cat
bed but its tall and the sides are sewin in so its more like a cave) and
he was sleeping in it.  Zena tries to beat him up - ahh but I think he's
tired of being beaten up cause what does he do??  He bites her nose and
she runs away without gaining control of the tent and now hasta sleep in
the cat bed.  That's ok though, she got him back later on in the day when
she hid behind the television stand, for - which felt like hours..
waiting and waiting for him to come scurrying down the hall... and then
BAM she was ontop of him nippin' away...Now I think the new spot is the
garbage can in my parents room with dryer sheets in it..  because he
comes out smellin all puuuurttyyy.  *L*

What I think is really funny - Zena wants Zama to starve.  She goes into
his cage and literally eats until she can't fit anymore food in her!!
Then if Zama is eating the kitten's food (Nutrience Kitten food) she'll
jump up and he will run away and then she will eat it.  But I don't even
think she likes it because she doesn't eat it when he's not around!!
She'll walk past it, take a sniff and then keep going!!

Everyone had a bath the other night.  I'm not used to Zama trying to jump
outta the tub, as he just swims around and looks content... and I doubt
he could jump out anyway!  Well, I realized that I forgot to grab a
towel... I turn my back for a second, bend down and open the cupboard and
grab a towel, close it - and when I closed it I happened to glance in the
hallway... and there were little wet ferret foot prints down the hall.
Me, thinkin' its impossible... check the tub..  YUP she's gone.... Then I
had to go searching for her... of course I found her rolling in the poopy
litter box trying to dry herself off....Grrr

So, they have begging down to a-T and absolutely love cheerios and
raisins, but I think that is all they like since we have tried feeding
them many other stuff.  OOps, I'm wrong..  Zena tried stealing my dad's
foot-long bag of pop corn - draging down the hall - to who knows where -
as we haven't found where they hide stuff yet.  Obviously their spots are
better then Zama's, since he collects food and hides it in the crinkle
bag that everyone plays in - unless of course he's making a communial
feeding area - I just don't know with him sometimes *L*

Today we are all going to go outside and play in the snow (have about
2 inches.) It should be interesting to see what they are like in it.
Before it snowed I brought Zama outside to play in the leaves, instead
of playing he stood there shivering and it wasn't even cold!!  He was
shaking so much I could feel it vibrating up the leash.  Then last night
when it was at least 10 degrees (celcius) lower then the day I took him
out, he went out with my mother and played in the snow, he had a blast,
trying to catch the snow flakes falling, tunneling and jumping into mini
drifts.  She brings him back inside, and he spent the rest of the night
scratching at the door and after giving up - everytime someone walked
into the kitchen he ran to the door!  I can't believe what a faker he is
*L* I thought leaves would be fun but I guess snow is cooler or
something!

Well that's about all I hafta say for today!

Mahlyssa