From:
Paul Ogles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Apr 1997 11:22:41 -0400
Hi, All,
I have been a digest receiving member of this list for a few months, but
generally treat it as a source of information rather than a place to talk
about my ferrets.  When I lose a ferret I feel better for reading about how
others in similar situations feel.  When one of my animals (sorry, *not*
kids) has a health problem, I look here before going to the vet.  It is a
valuable service to me in more ways than one.  I consider ferrets a hobby.
I find it offensive that people who care about Ferrets are leaving so much
of the breeding in the hands of commercial interests such as Marshall Farms.
I don't object because these businesses do that bad a job, but because they
are driven by monetary interests, as we all are in our professions, rather
than fascination w/ ferts.  I breed ferrets because I enjoy having kits
around, and because I am interested in genetics.  This spring/summer I
expect 7 litters, and will give away most of the young- anyone I have seen
on this list is welcome to 1 or 2, when in the Orlando area.

The reason I'm finally adding my $0.02 here is because I would like to see a
string on ferret genetics, colors and coats.  I have read and worked out a
few things, but have no experience of Angoras, for instance.  My 'greatest
achievement' as a breeder has been to develop a Cinnamon Blaze.  I got lucky
in a cross between a Panda carrying albino and a Cinnamon- 3 of 4 young were
Cinnamons, w/ a very slight white stripe on the head.  The male is now my
biggest ferret, and has been bred 6 times this spring to my females and
others from my stock.  This trio has no known in-breeding, but records are
only complete for the last 3 generations.  Since they are full brother and
sister, I need out-crosses.  This year, the girls have been bred to a
Cinnamon 2nd cousin.  Is there anyone in the southeast who has a good cross?

I think the albino/cinnamon relationship is pretty well understood, but
DEW/panda/blaze are not clear to me.  My experience says that Panda is a
partial dominant, frequently expressed only partially as a Blaze.  DEW seems
related, but I haven't seen enough of them to make an educated guess at the
genetics.  Anyone?

For the record, all my Blazes can hear, and the Pandas seem partially deaf.
The Old Man of the line is either extremely deaf, or doesn't give a damn for
trumpet music.

Has anyone seen a relation between biting and ferret genetics?  I have
thought some strains gentler than others, but the obvious difference is how
much they are handled when young.

Is long hair a partially dominant trait, as it seems to be in most animals?
I'd love to try for a Cinnamon Blaze Angora!  Even in fish, long fins are
usually a dominant.

Is there a separate marbling trait in ferrets?  I hear names like Patches,
etc., here, but don't know if it is a distinct color variation, or comes
from the appearance of some silvers/pandas/blazes.

     Later 8^),
     Paul