From:
"michelle A." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Aug 2001 17:17:22 -0700
I saw a mixture for duck soup, Bob's chicken gravy.  I found it on the
Ferret for dummies.  GREAT BOOK, Kim.  I am a little confused on his part:

  1 whole roasting chicken (cut into pieces to fit in the blender; do
  not remove skin, fat, bones or giblets-small pieces puree better)

Ok so here comes the stupid question....is the whole roasting chicken
raw or cooked or roasted or what?  How many of you are rolling your eyes
now?  :-)

I am trying to make some duck soup to give one of my 3 1/2 year old fert a
little energy booster.  We suspected Insulinoma but 2 out of 3 test came
back negative for it.  The one that came back positive was sent to a lab
and people told me that if the blood is send to a lab it usually sits for
too long and it may come back wrong, so I went to a vet that did in house
glucose test and it came back 75 instead of the 18 from the lab.  (yes I
did do a fasting test).

I have only had this fert for a month and I know that his diet before he
came to me was poor and that is why he is a little sluggish.

My plan for now is:
Feed him tottaly ferret and mix in some marshal farm food and add some
duck soup for some energy.  What do you guys think?

Oh and Randy suggested Timmy's tonic to me and I am intrested to know if
anyone has used it with what results?

Thank you all in advance.
-M

[Moderator's note: I don't remember how in-depth the nutrition discussion
gets in that excellent Ferrets for Dummies(r) book.   Just in case, here
are two more resources available from the file server here.

Send e-mail to [log in to unmask]
In the body of the e-mail put one or both of these lines:

SEND DIET POSTS FERRET
SEND CHICKEN GRAVY FERRET

The first will get you over 3600 lines of information about ferret
nutrition, mainly written by Bob Church, which was extracted from FMLs.
The second is the short (90 line?) recipe which you mention above.  But
you are correct: it probably doesn't say, so I will: The chicken was
meant to be ground raw.  Some feel more comfortable using cooked chicken.
Searching past FMLs will give lots of details about the pros and cons.
I'm sure there is info in the Ferret Health List archives as well.  BIG]