From:
Lisa Carswell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Feb 2000 14:55:35 -0500
As I've posted before, I teach part-time for the local university, so in
the evenings I usually have "homework" to do.  We have one room that is
ferret-proofed, so we let the ferrets out to run around for at least a
couple of hours every evening.  I take my "homework" into the ferret room,
so that when they come up wanting to see what I'm doing, they get a little
bit of personal interaction and I get an occasional much-needed break from
grading and class preparation (helps keep my mind fresh! *g*).  Last night
I had a stack of essay critiques to grade, so I was in the ferret room as
usual.  My daughter had been in the room earlier that day with some Blow
Pops, and had left a couple of them on top of the TV table.  I was deeply
immersed in my grading when I realized it had been some time since any of
the ferrets had come to see what I was doing.  What's more, I realized it
was quiet...TOO quiet.  As we all know, quiet and ferrets do NOT go
together. ;-)  So I put down my papers and turned around to see what they
were doing.  It turns out that one of them (and I still don't know who the
culprit was) had figured out that if they climbed up on the footstool, they
could jump over to the TV table and knock the Blow Pops down for the rest
of them.  So when I turned around I was greeted by the sight of six ferrets
surrounding two Blow Pops, which they had somehow peeled the paper from
(quite neatly, I might add) and were now licking happily.  *sigh* How could
you get mad at them when they were obviously so content?  ;-)

Dooks,
Lisa
Mom of Zorro, Claudia, Loki, Fezzik, Crysin, and Kyra Monchichi
"Not knowing everything is all that makes it ok, sometimes."
            --Delirium of the Endless
              from Neil Gaiman's _Brief Lives_