Date:
Wed, 5 Mar 2003 14:43:58 -0600
Thank you Sienna for the compliment on my hoarder article.  It was our
vet who asked me to consider writing an article on animal hoarders as he
knew I would do the appropriate research to write an informative article
and we've dealt with ferret rescues that involved hoarders.

I'm guessing my hoarding article stepped on a few toes and hence the
rumor mill is put into action.

One of the points of the article was that it isn't the number of animals
that defines a hoarder, it is the care the animals receive and the
environment they are kept in.  Someone with just a few animals could be
a hoarder while someone with a larger number may not be.

I honestly don't have 70 ferrets.  And I'm getting a little peeved that
someone out there is telling others I do.  Perhaps this person should
look to themselves instead of spreading lies about me.

I don't ask others to support my ferrets.  Our vet provides regular
medical care for our ferrets, all they need and then some, and also for
others in our area that are not in my care but are in need.  Good and
timely medical care is critical in keeping ferrets as healthy as they
can be.  Being quick to notice any changes is critical as well so close
monitoring of all is required.  The sooner one acts on a medical issue,
the better for both the ferret and the caretaker.  I work closely with
our vet to keep our little ones as healthy as we can.

As to how I do it - that is a very good question and perhaps I can
explain a bit.  Time management and incorporation are beneficial keys.

Yep, I work full time and I work another job on Saturday too so I work 6
full days a week and I write articles on assignment for Ferrets magazine
(thanks to the editors for the assignments!).  This is actually a good
thing as the paychecks benefit not only the ferrets in my care, but other
ferrets as well.  Earning more money means I can help more ferrets and
their caretakers.  I'm not rich or even well off by any means but we
do o.k. and I don't require much other than the basic necessities for
myself.  I'd rather buy something for the ferrets than for myself!

The ferrets I share my life with are free roam in my entire home.  They
have plenty of toys, beds, carpeted furniture, tubes, etc. to keep them
stimulated and exercised.  When I'm not there they sleep (as I've seen
on holidays, vacation/sick days when I'm home).  My group sleeps the day
away so they get a little miffed when I'm home on an off day and upset
their routine.

It's just the ferrets, no other companion animals or people for me to
take care of, so I'm able to devote myself and my time to the ferrets.

When I am home they have me all to themselves for the entire time I am
there, including sleeping time.  I can hug, cuddle, play with several at
one time, and I often have someone in my arms as I'm cleaning up after
them.  We make cleanup a game.  Sweeping and mopping provides exercise
for us all as the ferrets chase the broom and mop and I try to keep it
out of their reach.  It doesn't take long before several end up playing
tag and forget all about me and it's time to move on to the next task.
Vacuuming is a fun game though one must be careful and quick enough not
to vacuum over a tail as the little one darts in front of the noisy
mechanical sucking beast.  Our home isn't spotless, but it is clean.  A
clean environment is essential to good health.

Our home is a loving home.  Those who visit us feel the love and warmth
and perhaps a little magick the moment they enter.  Visitors are greeted
by curious loving ferrets.  Many will ask for kisses and cuddles and some
will ask to play.

Our mornings start at 5 a.m. with morning recipe and tasks.  This
provides a full 2+ hours with the ferrets before I head off to work.

I plan my tasks around the ferrets.  When I get home, I wash dishes and
change soiled papers and clean litterboxes while the ferrets are eating
their evening recipe.  By the time they have their bellies full I've
completed these tasks and am ready to move on to the sweep/mop/vacuum
games.  Normally by 8 p.m. the daily tasks are done and I'm ready to
spend the evening cuddling, playing or doing whatever else needs done.
Of course by that time the ferrets are pretty much played out and they
wander off to the comfort of their cozy beds and quilts.  Throughout the
rest of the evening a few will check on me, ask me to play, or ask for
cuddles.  I happily oblige their requests.

Each of us have skills that may be different than another.  Ferret care,
writing and organizing happen to be mine.  Don't ask me to do more than
check the oil and put gas in a vehicle or to sew something or sing

If anyone has any concerns or questions, I'll politely answer them.  If
anyone would like to come visit us please let's schedule a visit.  The
ferrets love company!

Warm hugs. tle
Troy Lynn Eckart, F.B.S.
Ferret Family Services